Although Planets do technically exist, there's nothing on the surface - or for that matter, any surface at all.
In the future, the Surface will be similar to many other "higher-level" sandbox games in that it will be smooth.
There will be different types of fairly realistic planet environments.
- Mars-like planets with global, uniform biomes
- Earth-like planets with multiple biomes and vegetation
On the Surface, civilization will vary.
- Many planets will be uninhabited (like SE)
- Some will have small colony bases and industrial buildings (like NMS)
- A few will have large cities and a significant economic presence (like Star Wars)